9916 (a) If 40 days have elapsed since the death of an owner or legal owner of any vessel numbered under this division without the decedent leaving other property necessitating probate, and irrespective of the value of the vessel, the following person may secure a transfer of ownership of the title or interest of the decedent:
(1) The sole person or all of the persons who succeeded to the property of the decedent under § s 6401 and 6402 of the Probate Code unless the vessel is, by will, otherwise bequeathed.
(2) The sole beneficiary or all of the beneficiaries who succeeded to the vessel under the will of the decedent where the vessel is, by will, so bequeathed.
(b) The person authorized by subdivision (a) may secure a transfer of ownership of the title or interest of the decedent upon presenting to the department all of the following:
(1) The appropriate certificate of ownership and certificate of number, if available.
(2) A certificate of the heir or beneficiary under penalty of perjury containing the following statements:
(A) The date and place of the decedent’s death.
(B) The decedent left no other property necessitating probate and no probate proceeding is now being or has been conducted in this state for the decedent’s estate.
(C) The declarant is entitled to the vessel either (i) as the sole person or all of the persons who succeeded to the property of the decedent under § s 6401 and 6402 of the Probate Code if the decedent left no will or (ii) as the beneficiary or beneficiaries under the decedent’s last will if the decedent left a will, and no one has a right to the decedent’s vessel that is superior to that of the declarant.
(D) There are no unsecured creditors of the decedent or, if there are, the unsecured creditors of the decedent have been paid in full or their claims have been otherwise discharged.
(3) If required by the department, a certificate of the death of the decedent.
(4) If required by the department, the names and addresses of any other heirs or beneficiaries.
(c) If the department is presented with the documents specified in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (b), no liability shall be incurred by the department or any officer or employee of the department by reason of the transfer of registration of the vessel pursuant to this section. The department or officer or employee of the department may rely in good faith on the statements in the certificate specified in paragraph (2) of subdivision (b) and has no duty to inquire into the truth of any statement in the certificate. The person who secures the transfer of the vessel pursuant to this section is subject to the provisions of § 13109 to 13113, inclusive, of the Probate Code to the same extent as a person to whom transfer of property is made under Chapter 3 (commencing with § 13100) of Part 1 of Division 8 of the Probate Code.
Amended Ch. 783, Stats. 1986. Effective July 1, 1987.