Safe Driving Tips for End of Daylight Savings Time
Clocks turned back one hour this past weekend. and I have to tell you, it had been quite a long time since I have seen that much traffic in South Orange County. So, I got to thinking, maybe people need more time to adjust to commuting in the dark. as any good car accident attorney can tell you, safety on the road comes first. That is why we put together this list of ways to drive safe while adjusting to the new time change. as it starts getting darker earlier, we need to be more aware on the roads. “This is the time to make sure you are not driving with distractions,” as an accident lawyer at Silverthorne Attorneys puts it. for safety tips during the end of daylight savings time, continue reading!
Accident Lawyer | Falling Back
Though the end of daylight savings time means that the days get shorter, it also means that more accidents occur when our bodies are trying to adjust. Not only do motorists need to be more cautious, but pedestrians do as well. We will go over all of these. Our car accident attorneys want to make sure you and your family are being safe; no matter the time of day. for more information and to see California’s vote on Proposition 7, see the ABC7 News Article.
Tips for Driving After Dark
Below, are some tips our car accident attorneys have come up with on how to help driver’s transition from daylight savings to standard time:
- Keep your regular sleep schedule;
- Take time to slow down and compensate for limited visibility;
- Approach crosswalks and intersections with caution
- This adjustment will also be difficult for pedestrians;
- Adjust your speed accordingly
- Whether this be due to an accident, poor weather conditions, etc.;
- Turn your headlights on during desk or semi-desk hours;
- One tip that we have found useful is to dim your dashboard lights
- This will help to improve vision in the evening;
- Make sure your windshield is cleaned regularly
- This is the same for your tail lights, brake lights, signals, etc. This will help tremendously with visibility;
- Use low and high beams correctly
- I cannot stress this enough!! I cannot tell you how many times in the last few days I have been driving on the 5 freeway and someone has had their high beams on.
- Use low beams when you need to see 250 feet or so in front of you;
- Use high beams when your visibility range is from 350 to 500 feet. and remember!! Dim your high beams when following other drivers or when you are approaching another vehicle
Car Accident Attorney | Fighting Fatigue
I don’t know about our readers, but driving home when it is already dark makes me more tired. in fact, studies have shown that it takes people who work 9 to 5 jobs several days for their bodies to adjust to the time change. While it can oftentimes be seen as a blessing to get that extra hour of sleep, there are actually psychological consequences to changing our clocks. That being said, the best thing you can do is make sure you are getting not only the right amount of sleep, but that you are staying active.
Preparing Your Car
Believe it or not, there are small things you can do in order to prepare yourself and your car for this switch. and all of these are quite simple.
- Top off your windshield wiper fluids and replace your wipers
- Did you know that wipers should be replaced every six months?
- Replenish your car safety kit with winter items
- Though Southern California does not get much of a fall or winter, you still want to make sure you are prepared with blankets, heating pads, an updated and replenished first-aid kit;
- Take your car in for a tune up and oil change
- Doing this earlier on in the season will ensure that you will be set for the colder months;
- Consider winter tires
- Believe it or not, this actually may be helpful even for us here in Orange County. This is because winter tires provide your car with more traction than regular tires.
- They help you keep control of the car. Even at the beginning of the raining season when our tires are getting used to the water.
Injured? Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today!
We know that the above seems like a lot. However, it’s the small steps that can help you get back on the clock so you are not as sleepy during your morning and evening commutes. It is nice that we have coffee and high caffeine substances to help us out every now and again. We still need to be vigilant when it comes to keeping ourselves and others safe of the road. Even if that means minimizing distractions and making sure our vehicles are well equipped. the safer the better, right?
If you have been injured in an accident, contact us to discuss your case. the accident lawyers in our office want to make sure this process is painless for you, so-to-speak. Every accident lawyer in our office is well versed on the law. Not only that, but we have years of experience dealing with insurance adjusters. We will not be fooled by their bullying ways. Silverthorne Attorneys is here to make sure you get and your family get the settlement you deserve.