Every year in the United States, about 4.5 million dog bites are reported. Dozens of these occur in Mission Viejo where nearly 40 percent of the city’s residents own at least one dog. Mission Viejo dog bites usually take place at home or at a neighbors. As our dog attack lawyer can attest, a dog that bites is rarely unfamiliar with the person they bite.
Who is affected?
According to the numbers, males suffer from dog attack more than females do. While a person of any age can suffer from an attack, children are also likely targets. Often they are bit in the face leaving them with not only injuries but a fear of dogs.
Dog Attack Lawyer | What to do if you are a victim:
- Hire an attorney. The dog’s owner is responsible for damages even if the dog has never before been vicious.
- Write the details of the attack down as soon as possible.
- Call the Mission Viejo Animal Services Center at (949) 470-3045.
- Take pictures of your injuries and clothes if they were torn. Do not wash the clothing. Preserve it in a brown paper bag.
- Save all doctor or hospital bills and police reports.
- Get statements from witnesses. This will be helpful if your case goes to trial.
- If you are unable to work, document your missed days.
Compensation will not be given if you provoke a dog into attacking or if you were unlawfully on someone’s property.
Without proper legal representation, the insurance company will pay as little as possible for your claim. If you or your child has been bitten by a dog, contact us today for a free consultation. A dog attack lawyer in our office will make sure that you are not taken advantage of during this time.