The bicycle business in Orange County is booming, but unfortunately, so are the number of accidents.
In the latest compilation of figures available, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration claims that in 2012, bicycle accidents accounted for 2.2 percent of all traffic fatalities. This figure has progressively risen from 2003 when it was just 1.5 percent.
Precautions on the Road
- Equipment: Being pedal safe means more than simply hopping on any bicycle. Bicycles come in different sizes, models, and types and need to be matched to the age, size and skill of the rider. Helmets are an absolute must as most serious injuries from bike accidents are head injuries. Equipping the bike with reflective tape or equipment, lights for night riding, and a bell or horn are all important equipment considerations for biking.
- Rules of the Road: In most states, bicycle riders must follow the same traffic rules and laws as any motor vehicle including riding in the same direction as traffic and obeying traffic signals and signs.
- Proper Bicycle Care and Maintenance: Just as with any type of equipment, following recommended maintenance procedures and keeping a bike clean ensure top performance and safer riding.
Once you have purchased the right equipment, understand the rules of the road and know how to care for your bike, it is time to enjoy many safe and pleasant rides. Here are a few safe riding tips, courtesy of theAmerican Automobile Association.
- Always look straight ahead to be prepared for any unexpected obstacles.
- Never ride with another person on a bicycle built for one!
- When in a group, ride single-file.
- Do not ride against traffic.
- Stay off busy roads and streets during rush hour or other busy traffic times
- Make sure you have several visibility devices if you ride at night.
Suffering from injuries due to an accident? Contact an injury lawyer today!
If you or someone close to you is the victim of an Orange bike accident, you may need expert legal advice to determine if yours is a personal injury accident. The lawyers at Silverthorne Attorneys can provide you with that expertise. For more information contact us.