With 56.7 million households in the United States owning at least one dog, bites are on the rise and California is no exception.
While a dog of any shape or size can bite, some breeds are more prone to it than others.
The top ten are:
- Pit bulls
- German shepherds
- Alaskan malamutes
- Chow Chows
- Pressa canarios
Dog bites occur every seventy-five seconds, and more than half of the incidents happen on the owner’s property. Many victims are children with facial wounds, and it is the fifth leading reason they are treated in emergency rooms. It is important to teach them never to approach a dog they do not know. They should also never disturb a sleeping dog or one that is eating.
Being attacked by a dog is frightening. If you or your child are a San Bernardino dog bite victim, there are several steps you should follow.
- Report it to the San Bernardino police department or animal control . The more information you can provide, the better your case will be. Keep a copy of the report.
- Seek medical attention if necessary. Animal bites need to be closely watched because they can easily become infected.
- Take pictures of the bite(s), ripped clothing, and if possible, the dog.
- Hire a reputable attorney. He or she will talk to the insurance company on your behalf.
- Save copies of all medical bills.
Dog bites can leave permanent injuries and cause emotional stress. Without legal representation, you will not get the settlement you deserve. Contact us today to discuss your case.