I have to admit that I am not always the most cautious driver – especially during my commutes into work. Yes, there are times when I am in stop and go traffic and I check my phone, be it my texts, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, or if I decide to pin Pinteresting things on Pinterest. I drive distracted as well… And luckily (knock on wood), I haven’t been in an accident. And I was thinking on the way to work this morning, what are the most dangerous habits of drivers? So I have put together a list of the top 5!
- Driving Under the Influence – this should be a no brainer for everyone. The amount of damage that can be done due to driving under the influence is great. Making sure to have a designated driver, call a taxi, Über, or Lyft services can and will help to prevent an unnecessary accident.
- Texting While Driving – this also falls under the category of distracted driving. Oftentimes just picking up your phone to check a simple text message, can be dangerous and cause accidents.
- Driving too Fast for Weather Conditions – there aren’t a lot of weather changes that we experience her in Southern California, but on those days when it does start raining or it’s a little foggy, most people are unsure what to do. Some people driver as normal, without realizing that their tires need to get used to the traction. Remember to remain calm and allow the space and time for your car to get used to the changing weather conditions.
- Not Wearing a Seatbelt – Wearing a seatbelt is such an easy thing to do, it’s almost incomprehensible that people don’t wear them. Having grown up with seat belts in cars, I feel naked without one. Also, consider that many accidents occur at low speeds near home, so even if you’re “just running down the street” on a quick errand, remember to buckle up.
- Reckless Driving – Driving erratically is a very good way to cause a crash and for unnecessary injuries to occur. The best thing to do, is to do your best to follow the rules of the road, don’t cut people off, don’t drive too fast, and it there is an accident don’t stop to pay attention to it. Pay attention to the road in front of you.
These are just a few habits that people have accumulated over the years that have caused accidents.
If you have been injured in a care accident, contact us today to discuss your case. Consultations are free!