Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
Dangers of Big Rig Truckers on Cell Phones
Commuting to and from work everyday, I see a lot more truck drivers on the freeways than I used to. But I also noticed that truck drivers I am seeing on the roads are on their phones. This morning for instance, as I was getting onto the 55 Freeway on my way to work, I noticed that a big rig driver was trying to merge in front of me and I could see in his side mirror that he was talking on his cell phone. So our car crash lawyer decided to explore the dangers of truckers that are not adhering to the hands-free law.
According to research that was done by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), it was confirmed that using hand held devices by truck drivers poses substantial accident risks. Some interesting facts:
- Drivers who text take their eyes off the road an average of 4.6 out of every 6 seconds.
- When traveling at 55 miles an hour, this is the equivalent of traversing an entire football field, from one end zone to the other – without looking at the road ahead.
- People who text while driving are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident over those who do not text and drive.
Some of the ways that trucking companies are trying to combat this problem are as follows:
- Managers taking the initiative to educate their drivers about the dangers of distractions from their phones
- In-vehichle devices are installed in each cab so as to discourage drivers from bringing and using their electronic devices
- Should a driver need to use their phone, they should enable their voice-activated hands-free dialing option
We are by no means saying that all truckers are using their cell phones while out on the road. But there are certain risk factors when and if it is happening.
Have you been in an accident? Contact a car crash lawyer today!
If you have been injured or know someone who has been injured due to distracted driving, please contact us today. Consultations are free.