Road rage is defined as aggressive or violent behavior caused by the actions of another motorist. Some examples include:
- Hitting the other vehicle with your car
- Running the other vehicle off the road
- Pulling over, getting out, and engaging in physical confrontations
- Inciting the passenger to fight the other driver
- Using any sort of weapon to inflict harm on another driver or vehicle
Some other non-violent reactions to road rage include:
- Being cut off
- Not using turn signals
- Mentally or verbally cursing at other drivers
- Flashing Headlights
- Brake checking
Tips to Prevent Road Rage
I fall in the above category. There are times when I am driving and someone will cut me off or they won’t use their turn signal and I will mentally or verbally say really aggressive things that I normally wouldn’t think or say to another person. I think we sometimes become different people when we are behind the wheel – especially around the holiday season. Here are some tips to help sooth and prevent any incidents of road rage that can help us to prevent any unnecessary accidents:
- Put on soothing music that you enjoy
- Make sure that you get into a “sharing the road” mentality as best as you can
- Keep a good amount of space between yourself and other drivers
- Refrain from making prolonged eye contact or obscene hand gestures (where other drivers can see) at other drivers
- Try to be the bigger person
- If you get too heated, pull over to a safe location, out of the way of traffic and take a few deep breaths
- Remember that you have full control over your own actions and thoughts
- Be aware of the consequences of your actions should you get into an altercation with anyone on the road
Remember to always be safe on the road. Especially during this time of the year. The holidays can be very stressful since because there are more people on the road. This is probably the best time of the year to make sure that we are trying to slow down a little bit – with driving and our thoughts.
Are you suffering from injuries due to an accident? Contact a car crash attorney today!
We never want to you have to worry about dealing with the insurance companies. That is our job. We have the experience necessary in order to deal with sneaky insurance adjusters. We will never back down when they are treating you unfairly. Our car crash attorney will take them on without breaking a sweat.
If you have been injured due to someone’s road rage, contact us today to discuss your case. Consultations are free.