Socializing your dog at an early age will help them to become more comfortable around new people, new animals, and new environments. Ladera Ranch dog bite attorney, Silverthorne Attorneys, knows that socialization can be a lot of fun, for both dogs and people alike. Below are some tips we have put together on how to socialize your animal in different settings.
Socialization with New People
- Allow your dog to approach new people at their own pace and only if they want to and are comfortable doing so.
- Associate new people with exciting things – new toys, treats, playtime, etc.
- If you have a puppy, make sure that they are gently and positively exposed to different people.
- Visit parking lots and other busy areas to watch people, animals, vehicles, etc. so your dog feels comfortable in all different environments.
Socialization with Other Animals
- Always make sure that the other animal is friendly and tolerant of other dogs, before you allow your dog to approach them.
- Train your dog to act politely to other animals around them. Reward them with treats, toys, or words of praise for their good behavior. Redirect your dog if they are being pushy or getting overly excited.
- Know that it is okay if your older dog does not want to play with dogs they are unfamiliar with.
Socialization with New Things & Environments
- To prevent a phobia of noise (thunder, fireworks, firecrackers, etc.) give your dog a tiny treat every time the noise happens.
- Introduce younger dogs to different surfaces – gravel, tile floors, concrete, carpet, etc.
- Take rides on a boat, in a train, the car, or in an elevator.
- Visit the vet and groomer’s just for treats and petting.
Remember that if your dog isn’t having a good time, it could do more harm than good. Dogs don’t “just get over” issues – they need constant reassurance from their masters.
If you have been injured by a dog and need a Ladera Ranch personal injury attorney to be your dog attack lawyer, contact us today. Consultations are free!
Silverthorne Attorneys | Orange County Dog Bite Lawyers Why Choose Our Orange County Dog Bite Attorney? Choosing the right Orange County dog bite...
Not every Ladera Ranch accident attorney is the same. There is a difference in how well your case is handled by different legal representatives....