Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
Dangers of Speeding
The ramifications of speeding while driving are serious. Any reputable accident attorney will tell you, though speeding seems fun, it can cause serious injuries. Speeding is not only defined as driving beyond the posted speed limit. It is also defined as driving too fast and dangerous for the road’s conditions. As an accident lawyer, we understand why people speed. Most people speed because they are running late to work or an appointment. Some people are not paying attention to posted speed limits. As a car accident attorney in Orange County, we also know that some people speed to have fun. As a car accident lawyer, we see these kinds of accidents all the time. While not everyone is caught speeding, it can inflict a lot of damage to yourself, the vehicle, and others. If you have been injured by a speeding driver, contact an auto accident attorney in our office.
Accident Attorney | Dangers of Driving Over the Speed Limit
According to a study done by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), one-third of fatal car crashes involve drivers who were speeding. Which means that speeding comes a close second to alcohol related injuries and deaths in car accidents. Through our research, Orange County accident lawyer, Silverthorne Attorneys has found that there are 13,000 reported deaths each year from speeding related accidents.
Avoiding the dangers of speeding will increase your ability to make turns and adjust your turn radius if need be.
Accident Lawyer | The Problem of Speeding
According to a study done by the NHTSA, about 27% of young driver and passenger deaths are due to speeding related accidents. Any auto accident attorney can tell you that passenger vehicles cannot handle high-speed crashes. As the crash speed gets higher, the airbags and seat-belts do not work as well. They are less likely to keep the passenger safe. Here are some more facts that our car accident attorney has put together:
- Crashes at high speeds influence the risk of injuries in three ways:
- by the time the driver is aware of any danger, they have already traveled closer to the danger;
- the driver will have to brake harder;
- the impact of the crash will be more severe.
- If the driver doubles their speed – from 20mph to 40mph – the braking distance does not become twice as long. It is four times.
- traveling at 55mph, will take roughly 6 seconds to stop a vehicle that will travel approximately 302 feet before coming to a complete stop. This means that the car will travel longer than the distance of a football field.
- The stopping distance of the car will depend on four things:
- the driver’s perception of time;
- a driver’s reaction time;
- the driver’s vehicle reaction time;
- a driver’s vehicle braking capability.
- When a driver is speeding, other drivers will not be able to tell how fast they are going.
- this is, of course, dependent upon how much faster than the speed limit they are traveling.
- Speeding to keep up with traffic is illegal and the driver can still get a ticket.
- Every driver should consider road conditions. Weather, road design, slow downs, construction, etc.
- It is easier to lose traction when speeding around a curve and roll the car.
Car Accident Attorney | Speed Matters
Many of the states raised their speed limits in 1996. The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) found that when these states increased their speed limits, the number of speeding related car accidents went up. Driving at an excessive speed decreases the amount of time a driver has in order to avoid an accident. As an accident attorney, we have seen that the force of a crash’s impact doubles with every 10 mile per hour increase in speeds that are faster than 50mph. This means that there are greater risks of serious injuries or fatalities due to the higher rate of speed.
The NHTSA states that those who have a tendency to speed also engage in other risky behaviors. For example, they are less likely to wear seat belts which means that their likelihood of being seriously injured is much greater.
Car Accident Lawyer | Be Safe
While driving fast may be fun, it is also incredibly dangerous. Not only for the driver, but for passengers as well as other drivers on the road. When driving at faster speeds, you lose your ability to control your vehicle.
Speeding can also be very expensive. A car accident lawyer at Silverthorne Attorneys wants people to know that a speeding ticket can set you back anywhere from $150-$1,000. Those who are caught driving at excessive speeds will pay more. There is also the danger of losing your license. Speeding violations add points to your license. If you accumulate enough points, your license will be suspended.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured in an accident, do not hesitate to contact an auto accident attorney today. Silverthorne Attorneys takes great pride putting our clients first. Contact us today for a free consultation.