Though dogs are man’s best friend, they do have a tendency to bite. Any good dog attack attorney can tell you that dogs bite about 4.7 million people every year. Half of those bitten are children between 5 and 9. As a dog attack lawyer in Orange County, we have seen many of these cases. And about one out of every five bites cause serious injuries. Serious enough to contact a dog bite attorney. Though, as a dog bite lawyer, we have seen cases where someone was bitten by a stray, most are bitten by dogs they know. If you are suffering from injuries due to an attack, contact a dog bite injury attorney today. Consultations are free.
Dog Attack Attorney | How to Prevent Dog Bites
There are many things you can do in order to prevent dog bites. As a local dog attack lawyer can tell you, there are many ways. Below, we have put together a list of a few.
- When you are choosing a dog for a family pet, as a dog bite attorney, we suggest that you choose a dog with a good temperament.
- Stay away from dogs you do not know. If you are curious about a dog, ask the owner before approaching the animal.
- Never leave young children alone with the dog – this is especially true if you are unfamiliar with the animal.
- Don’t allow children or anyone else for that matter to play with the dog when it is eating or feeding puppies.
- Approach a dog slowly and only with permission from the owner. If possible, give the dog a chance to approach you.
- If a dog becomes aggressive, do not run or scream. Most dogs have the instinct to chase and this is how dog bites can occur. Stay calm, move slowly, and do not make eye contact with the dog.
Remember, if you are suffering from injuries due to an attack, you have rights. Do not hesitate to contact a dog bite lawyer in our office to discuss your case.
Dog Attack Lawyer | Dog Bite Treatments
Though it is possible to provide yourself with at home first aid, a dog bite injury attorney in our office urges you to seek medical attention right away. This is especially important if an unfamiliar dog bit you, if the bite is deep, you cannot stop the bleeding, or there are signs of infection. Any reputable dog attack attorney can tell you that most injuries from dog bites are due to infections. Below, our dog attack lawyer has put together an at-home dog bite treatment for the minutes following the bite:
- Use a clean towel and place it over the injury to stop any of the bleeding. Apply the appropriate amount of pressure to stop the bleeding.
- Keep the injured area elevated.
- Thoroughly was the bite with soap and water.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment to the injury everyday in order to prevent infection.
- Apply a sterile bandage on the wound.
These are just a few things that we have come up with. These are also for less serious dog bites. If you suffer from a bite that is deep and there looks to be tearing to the skin, muscle, bone, etc. make sure you see a doctor right away. Especially if you cannot get the bleeding to stop.
Dog Bite Attorney | Common Questions from Your Doctor
Going to the doctor is what almost every dog attack lawyer will urge you to do. And we urge you to do this sooner rather than later. This will help your case tremendously. When you visit your doctor, prepare yourself to answer a few questions. Including the following:
- Do you know the owner of the dog?
- If so, do you know if the dog is up-to-date on their vaccinations, including rabies?
- Did the bite occur because the dog was unprovoked, or was the dog provoked?
- In the state of California, this will most likely not be a big deal. California is a strict liability state.
- What underlying health issues do you have?
- People with diabetes, liver disease, illnesses that suppress the immune system, or any other health condition may be at greater risk for infection.
Your doctor will likely ask you more questions as well. Seeking medical attention will not only help you get the healing you need but it will also help with your personal injury settlement.
Dog Bite Lawyer | When You See Your Doctor
You can expect your doctor to ask you questions, but you can also expect that they will examine the injury to see how deep the bite went. This means they will check to see if there was damage to muscles, tendons, nerves, bones, etc. Your doctor will then thoroughly clean the wound and they may also remove any dead tissue from the wound.
If the wound is deep, you may need sutures to close the wound. Although suturing reduces scarring, it can increase risks of infection. Whether or not the injury is closed will depend entirely upon where the injury is located.
Your doctor will also take steps to prevent future infections. They may make sure that the dog is up to date on their rabies vaccinations. They will want to make sure that you are also up-to-date on your tetanus shots. Taking antibiotics for 7-14 days may be a course of treatment as well.
Suffering from Injuries? Contact a Dog Bite Injury Attorney
If you are suffering from injuries due to a dog bite, contact us. A dog bite injury attorney can help with your case. You have rights as someone who has been injured. Do not wait to seek advice from one of our attorneys. Consultations are free!