Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
How Social Media Can Ruin Your Case
Social media is everywhere these days and it seems that everyone has it. Believe it or not, sometimes social media accounts and what you post can have an effect on your personal injury claims. That is why, as a personal injury attorney, we always suggest that you refrain from using social media while your case is open. As a personal injury lawyer, we have seen clients who will post about their injuries, only for the insurance companies to use their accounts and posts against them. Any car accident attorney will tell you that the insurance company will search your name on the internet for personal information. This includes your social media sites. We can tell you, as a car accident lawyer, that the biggest threat to your claim is your social media presence. If you are suffering from injuries, contact an accident attorney in our office today. Consultations are free!
Personal Injury Attorney | What NOT to Share
As a personal injury attorney, we actually prefer that you refrain from posting on social media. We know that this is a difficult thing to do. Adjusters will look for anything they can to try to make your offer less than what you deserve. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your personal injury claim. Changing your privacy settings so that only your friends can see your past and future posts will help. Especially if you feel the need to post on Facebook. This will make it difficult for insurance adjusters to find anything they can potentially use against you. We do urge you to not accept friend requests from people you are unfamiliar with. This is a tactic that adjusters have used in the past in order to get information on a plaintiff.
Personal Injury Lawyer | Privacy Settings
During your claim, your accident attorney may ask you to change your privacy settings. This is so that they cannot find pictures or posts that you have previously shared. Though, as a personal injury attorney we are not asking you to delete anything, we are asking you to be cautious of your privacy settings. On Instagram, you can make your profile completely private. Which is what your car accident attorney strongly suggests.
Remember that anything you post to social media sites can potentially be used against you. We understand that you want to vent about the accident and share your story. However, the insurance adjusters can use this against you when you are trying to make your claim. As the person who is suffering from injuries, it is up to you to prove that the actions of someone else are the reason you were injured.
Car Accident Attorney | How Social Media Hurts Your Claim
Before social media, it was more difficult for adjusters to find evidence that could counter someone’s claim of anxiety or pain and suffering. With social media, a picture showing you smiling, laughing and having a good time will strongly bring about doubts that you are suffering. As unfair as this is, insurance adjusters will use whatever they can in order to deny your claim. If your case happens to go to trial, it may be difficult to convince a jury that you are suffering. This is especially true if there is clear “proof” of you laughing and out having a good time with your friends and family. Every tweet, every photo you share to Instagram or Facebook, every status update has the potential to hurt your case.
Car Accident Lawyer | Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media
- Change your privacy settings so that only your friends can find and view your profile. You do not want to make it easy for the defense attorneys and the insurance adjusters to find information about you.
- Tell friends and family not to post anything about the accident or your condition. We know that you will vent and tell those closest to you about the accident. Be sure to tell them not to post about your injuries, the accident, or your life in general. This includes photos, videos, status updates, etc. Even an innocent post like, “went bike riding with… last night” can be damaging to your case.
- Make private anything from your past that could hurt your case. Or better yet, remove it. Before litigation, remove anything that you wouldn’t want those closest to you to see. The defense may ask the judge to prevent you from making any changes to your accounts, so doing it before will help your case tremendously.
- Don’t post anything about the accident or your claim. This includes meetings with your attorneys, doctor’s appointments, pictures of the accident, interactions with the insurance company, etc.
- Do not post photos or videos of your injuries or damage.
- Don’t reply to anyone else’s posts about your situation. Try to refrain from looking up the other parties involved in the accident.
Suffering from Injuries? Contact an Accident Attorney Today!
As someone who is suffering from injuries due to another, you have rights. And any reputable personal injury attorney will fight for you and make sure you get the settlement you deserve. If you are suffering from injuries due to an accident, contact a personal injury attorney today. Consultations are free.