Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
Dangers of Texting and Driving
Technology is a staple of the 21st century. We use our phones to communicate with one another. We also use them for social media. As a personal injury attorney, our firm has seen many accidents that are due to using their phones while driving. Commuting to work, you see many people on their phones. Whether they are talking on their phone, texting, changing the music, etc. As a personal injury lawyer, we know that about 80% of the population that drivers does this. We have seen it. However, as a leading accident attorney in Orange County, we know how dangerous this is. It leads to accidents. If you are suffering from injuries due to a distracted driver, contact an accident lawyer in our office. Consultations with a car accident lawyer in our office are free!
Personal Injury Attorney | Distracted Driving
Over the years, there has been an increase in accidents due to distractions. Over 2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in car accidents each year. We have found that approximately 1.6 million of these accidents have involved a cell phone.
- Each year, approximately 421,000 people are involved in accidents that involve those who are distracted;
- 1 out of 4 car accidents are caused by texting while driving;
- Texting while driving is six times more likely to get you into an accident than drunk driving;
- On average, it takes three seconds after a driver’s mind is taken of the road for an accident to occur;
- Reading a text takes approximately 5 seconds each time. This means that the chances of getting into an accident while reading a text are high;
- The chances of you getting into an accident when you are texting and driving are 23 times. Even if the accident is the other driver’s fault;
- When you text while driving, the time that you spend with your eyes off the road increases;
- It is estimated that 11 teenagers die every day due to texting and driving accidents.
As you can see, driving while texting or on the phone has tremendous consequences.
Personal Injury Lawyer | Teen Drivers & Cell Phone Use
As we stated above, on average, 11 teens die every day due to texting and driving. This is a staggering number. Even with the hands-free law here in California, as a personal injury attorney, we see these kinds of accidents all the time.
- According to a poll that the AAA did, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving. 35% of those polled said that they text and drive anyway;
- 21% of teenaged drivers that are involved in fatal accidents were distracted in some way by their phones.;
- Teen drivers with only one other passenger in their vehicle will double the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are five times as likely to get into an accident.
We are not trying to speak poorly of teenagers these days. They have grown up in a generation where they are always connected to others. So being on their phones is almost second nature to them. Even when they are driving. As a car accident lawyer, we urge drivers to refrain from using their cellular devices while they are driving.
Accident Attorney | National Survey on Distracted Driving Behaviors
In 2012, a survey was done on distracted driving attitudes and behaviors. What was found is very interesting:
- Nearly 48% of drivers on the road admit to answering their cell phones while driving;
- Of those who answered their phones, 58% continued to drive while they were on their phones;
- In the survey 24% of drivers reported that they are willing to make a phone call while driving;
- 1 in 10 drivers said that they send text messages or emails while behind the wheel;
- 14% of drivers said they read a text message or email while driving;
- A majority of these who were surveyed said they support the laws that ban talk on cell phones, texting, or emailing while driving.
Accident Lawyer | What’s Next?
As an accident lawyer in Orange County, we know that being on our phones is routine. Sometimes it helps when we are sitting in traffic. We pick up our phones to get an alternate route to where we are going. A friend calls or texts. It happens. In California, there is a hands-free law. Unfortunately, the fine for driving while on your phone is not a steep one.
The base fine for a first offense is $20.00. For second offenses and any others after, the fine is only $50. The total fine you could end up paying will likely be between $150-250. And a violation of the hands-free law will not count as a point on your record. The hands free law makes exceptions for the following:
- Emergency service professionals who are operating an authorized emergency vehicle;
- Turning a mounted GPS on or off – as long as it only takes a tap or swipe to do so;
- When using a manufacture-installed system that is embedded in your car.
Additional penalty assessments can make the fine more than the base amount.
With people having access to this knowledge, it is no wonder why people have the tendency to overlook the law.
Suffering from Injuries? Contact a Car Accident Attorney Today!
If you are suffering from injuries due to the negligence of another, you have rights. Hiring an accident lawyer at Silverthorne Attorneys will greatly help your case. You do not have to suffer alone. We can get you the settlement you deserve in order to recover from your injuries. Contact a personal injury attorney in our office today. Consultations are free!