A recent story in the news has again brought up the attention of pedestrian safety. On Sunday evening, a father and his daughter who were walking across the street in Whittier were struck. Unfortunately the 2-year old was killed and her father is still in critical condition. For more details on the accident see ABC7 News. Working for an auto accident lawyer in Orange County, I have become much more aware of driving practices. Which, I believe, is very important. Though there are not many details on the incident, drugs and alcohol are said have not played a part. I know many drivers get distracted fairly easily. That is why I wanted to give some tips on pedestrian safety. Not just for drivers but for pedestrians. If you have been injured in an accident, contact an accident attorney in our office. Consultations are free!
Auto Accident Lawyer | Pedestrian Safety
Did you know that at lease once a day, every day, you are considered a pedestrian? That’s right. For instance, if you are walking from your front door in your condo complex to your car, you are indeed a pedestrian. And the numbers for pedestrian related fatalities in the United States increases every year. Below, we have put together some tips for pedestrians to keep safe.
Tips for Pedestrians
One of the most important things pedestrians can do is to make sure you are visible at all times. We advise trying to make eye contact with any driver that you come into contact with. This will be especially important should you find yourself walking at night. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), “32% of all pedestrian fatalities occur between 8 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.”
- make sure to wear lightly colored and perhaps reflective clothing in the evening;
- during the day, make sure you are wearing bright clothes so people can see you;
- stay in areas that are well-lit when you are crossing the street;
- avoid distractions
- this includes putting your phone down and paying attention the what is going on around you;
- follow the rules of the road and obey traffic signals;
- cross streets at crosswalks or intersections
- this is where people will expect pedestrians;
- look for cars coming from every direction;
- NEVER assume that a driver sees you
- this is why making eye contact is so important;
- look left-right-left before crossing
These may seem like common sense things. And any auto accident lawyer knows that. However, sometimes we do not always follow these and people end up getting severely injured or much worse.
Tips for Drivers
Now, it is not just the responsibility of the pedestrians to take steps to be safe. It is also the responsibility of drivers to make sure they are paying just as much attention. Especially since there are far more distractions for drivers than there are pedestrians.
- look for pedestrians everywhere, at all times;
- follow the posted speed limits
- this is especially important when you are in area that has a high volume of pedestrian traffic;
- use caution when driving in conditions that are less than ideal
- fog, rain, wind, etc.
- yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and do not stop in the middle of the crosswalk;
- NEVER driver under the influence of a controlled substance;
- follow the speed limits
- this is especially important when you are coming around a corner or if where you are approaching has limited visibility;
- be extra cautious when you are in parking lots or are backing up
- this is because pedestrians may move into your path without you realizing
It is everyone’s responsibility to be safe on the roads. Pedestrians, as well as motor drivers need to be cautious. As any accident attorney can tell you, it is so much more difficult with there being so many distractions. From our cell phones, to the radio, other accidents on the road, even our passengers can be a distraction sometimes. This is why we all need to be diligent in keeping each other and ourselves safe on the road.
Suffering from Injuries? Contact an Accident Attorney Today!
If you have been injured in an accident due to the negligent actions of another, please do note hesitate to contact us. Consultations with an auto accident lawyer at Silverthorne Attorneys are free. We have years of experience dealing with insurance companies and we are not afraid to do what is necessary to get the job done.