Believe it or not, some dogs can carry infectious diseases that you can contract. as a dog attack attorney in Orange County, we have seen this many times. Every dog attack lawyer at Silverthorne Attorneys urges you to seek medical treatment right away. We know, as a local dog bite attorney, that some diseases dogs carry are transferable to humans. Here at Silverthorne Attorneys, our dog bite lawyer knows that infection from a dog bite is very serious. If you are suffering from injuries, do not hesitate to contact a dog bite injury attorney in our office. Consultations are free!
Dog Attack Attorney | Common Diseases Dogs Carry
As a dog attack lawyer in Orange County, we know that dog bites are very serious. Dogs can transfer diseases to humans. Below, we go over the top diseases you can catch from a dog, as well as their symptoms.
Giardia and Its Symptoms
Giardia is a parasite that is commonly found in contaminated drinking water. Infected animals can pass it on to humans. Humans can also pass it onto animals. It is best to make sure that your animal does not drink from dirty puddles that may contain fecal matter.
- Symptoms in Pets: Diarrhea
- Symptoms in Humans: Diarrhea
Dog Attack Lawyer | Roundworm and Its Symptoms
We don’t hear of too many roundworm cases these days. This parasite is found in more urban areas where the population is dense. Children are more likely to come into contact with the feces of the infected pet. There are other intestinal parasites that can be transferred to humans. Be careful when handling dog feces and making sure to wash hands after and prior to eating food.
- Symptoms in Pets: Diarrhea, visible worms in stool, vomiting, constipation, coughing, bloody stool
- Symptoms in Humans: Coughing, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, blood in stool
Dog Bite Attorney | MRSA and Its Symptoms
MRSA or Methicillin resistant Staph Aureus is actually more problematic for pets. Meaning that humans most likely transfer MRSA to a dog. Most of the infections are found in the ears or in open wounds. If your pet has wounds that will not heal or chronic and recurring ear infections, have the vet take a culture.
- Symptoms in Pets: Fever, discharge from the wound, skin lesions, skin swelling, slow to heal wounds
- Symptoms in Humans: Generally begin as little red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites. Then turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical draining. Some bacteria remain confined on the skin.
Dog Bite Lawyer | Sarcoptic Mange and Its Symptoms
Often referred to as scabies, Mange is caused by a tiny mite that burrows deep into the skin. This creates severe itching and irritation. Secondary infections in animals are very common for dogs. It is not only highly contagious for other dogs, but for humans as well. Most dogs have a tendency to lose their hair due to Mange. If your dog is extremely itchy and is missing patches of hair, contact your vet right away.
- Symptoms in Pets: It depends on which type of mite is present. Demodectic mange is what causes hair loss, bald spots, scabbing, and sores. Sarcoptic Mange causes severe and intense itching. It can result in restlessness, frantic scratching, etc. the most commonly affected areas are the ears, elbows, face and legs. However, it can spread to the entire body.
- Symptoms in Humans: Sarcoptic Mange cause a rash of red bumps that look and feel similar to mosquito bites. However, humans cannot get demodectic mange from dogs.
Ringworm and Its Symptoms
Ringworm and roundworm are two very different things. This is a fungal infection of the skin. It is common in dogs and cats. Though animals are often blamed for ringworm in children, ringworm can be found in the soil where children play.
- Symptoms in Pets: Skin lesions and patches of hair loss with a red mark in the center. Looks a bit like a worm formed on the skin.
- Symptoms in Humans: Red, circular patches on the skin that resemble worms.
Leptospirosis and Its Symptoms
A dog attack attorney can tell you that Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection that is spread through contact of infected animal’s urine. Potential sources can be mice or rats or even contamination in standing water. Dogs can be a source and pass it to their humans. If your dog is sick with a fever, lethargy, jaundice, take them to the vet immediately.
- Symptoms in Pets: Fever, muscle pain, vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, blood in the urine.
- Symptoms in Humans: High fever, chills, muscle aches, vomiting, jaundice, red eyes, abdominal pain.
Hookworm and Its Symptoms
Hookworms will suck on the intestinal lining of a dog. This can cause extreme blood loss. Eggs found in pet feces can transfer through the skin to pet owners if you step on droppings in the backyard with your bare feet.
- Symptoms in Pets: Diarrhea, weight loss
- Symptoms in Humans: Symptoms aren’t always readily apparent. Sometimes they include a rash, cough, wheezing, stomachache, anemia, or loss of appetite.
Suffering from Injuries? Contact a Dog Bite Injury Attorney
If you are suffering from any injuries due to a dog bite, you have rights. Contact one of our experienced dog attack attorneys today. Consultations are free. We are here to help you recover from your injuries. a dog bite attorney in our office will do everything in their power to make sure you get a settlement you deserve.