Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
Many people do not rank drowning high on the list of possible wrongful death scenarios. Silverthorne Attorneys understands that the things in life that are often neglected, overlooked or diminished in importance sadly end up producing tragic consequences. We can assist the families or the injured individual in the legal process in all types of drowning cases, including near drowning, swimming pool accidents, beach accidents, child drowning accidents, water park, hotel drowning, apartment pool drowning, and our cases are supported by the Virginia Graeme Baker Act, passed in 2009, increasing the safety requirements for pool owners and operators.
If a family member was killed due to drowning, call the Orange County drowning accident lawyers today at Silverthorne Attorneys.
- It is estimated that for each drowning death, there are 1 to 4 nonfatal submersions serious enough to result in hospitalization. Children who still require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) at the time they arrive at the emergency department have a poor prognosis, with at least half of survivors suffering significant neurological impairment. — American Academy of Pediatrics
- 19% of drowning deaths involving children occur in public pools with certified lifeguards present. –Drowning Prevention Foundation
- A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under. — Orange County California Fire Authority
- Children under five and adolescents between the ages of 15-24 have the highest drowning rates. — . Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- An estimated 5,000 children ages 14 and under are hospitalized due to unintentional drowning-related incidents each year; 15 percent die in the hospital and as many as 20 percent suffer severe, permanent neurological disability. National Safety Council
- Of all preschoolers who drown, 70 % are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75 % are missing from sight for five minutes or less. Orange County, CA, Fire Authority
- The majority of children who survive (92 percent) are discovered within two minutes following submersion, and most children who die (86 percent) are found after 10 minutes. Nearly all who require cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) die or are left with severe brain injury.
Be Aware of Drowning Death Situations
Most drownings occur within a short distance of safety, whether that in the bathtub, the edge of a pool or shoreline, and may often be prevented.
Because the head is submerged, air and oxygen can’t get into the lungs and the victim suffocates. The tissues and organs in the body require oxygen to function, and begin to fail within a matter of minutes if deprived of it. Without oxygen, the heart muscle can become irritable and cause the electrical system to malfunction, preventing the heart from beating. Brain damage occurs within six minutes if it lacks oxygen rich blood flow.
Silverthorne Attorneys wants you to know who is likely to drown, when, and where:
- The World Health Organization estimates that there are 388,000 drowning deaths worldwide each year. In the Unites States, the latest yearly statistics from the CDC reported almost 4,000 people had died from drowning.
- Drowning is the third leading cause of accidental death in the United States. For children, it is the second leading cause of accidental death in school-age children, and the number one cause of death in preschoolers.
- More than half of drowning deaths occur in swimming pools.
- One-quarter to one-third of drowning victims have had swimming lessons.
- Children less than one year of age usually drown in bathtubs because they are not coordinated or strong enough to lift themselves out of the water.
- Children aged 1-4 most often drown in swimming pools.
- As children age, the percentage that drown in natural water such as rivers, lakes, ponds, and oceans begins to increase.
- For those older than age 15, 65% of drownings occur in natural water.
- Alcohol is a factor in up to half of adolescent and adult drowning deaths.
Our swimming pool accident lawyers understand that near-drowning accidents can leave children forever changed. Lack of oxygen can cause brain damage. In turn, such a severe injury can mean that your child could be left with learning disabilities, memory difficulty, or in the most serious cases, in a vegetative state that requires long term life-support. The expense associated with life-long care for the victim of a brain injury can be staggering.
If your family has suffered the loss of a loved one through drowning, contact Silverthorne Attorneys immediately. The drowning authorities at Silverthorne Attorneys may find negligence on the part of another party that may assist your situation.