Bicycling is becoming increasingly popular here in Orange County. Unfortunately, an increase in bicyclists means there is an increase in the number of bicycle accidents on the road. If you are new to bicycling or just need a review on the various points of bicycle safety and etiquette please read below for our list of tips that will help keep you safe.
Ride in the Same Direction as Automobile Traffic. It is the Law.
– Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- You are subject to all traffic signs that a car must follow.
Use Hand Signals.
- Using hand signals tells the motorists around you what you intend to do. It will keep you safer and is courteous to others.
Follow the Lane Markings.
Don’t weave in and out of parked cars.
- Drivers may not see you move back into traffic. It is best to remain visible.
Don’t Pass on the Right.
Choose the best way to make a left-hand turn.
- You can either turn left like a vehicle would or as a pedestrian would using the cross walk signals
Avoid Road Hazards.
Keep both hands on the handlebars ready to brake.
- Never use the front brake by itself and allow extra distance for stopping in wet road conditions.
Ride a Well-Equipped Bicycle that is in Good Condition.
- For maximum safety, make sure your bike has fenders, mirrors, and reflectors. Use a headlight and taillight in dark conditions as required by law.
- Check your brakes often and keep the tires inflated to the correct air pressure.
- Wear a helmet while riding at all times. Dress in light-colored clothing to be more visible at night and wear multiple layers to stay warm or cool as needed.
If you are injured while riding your bike and need legal advice, call Silverthorne Attorneys at 949-234-6034 for a free consultation on what you should do. We understand bicycle law and can help you get the compensation you deserve. We serve the area of Monarch Beach as well as all the surrounding cities of South Orange County. Remember to be safe and enjoy the ride.