Silverthorne Attorneys Can Help.
Talk to us about your injury now.
Silverthorne Attorneys is a personal injury law firm in Orange County whose top priority and singular focus is the people we represent. We work diligently to make sure that our clients are well taken care of and that their needs are not only met, but come first. Injured now? Do not hesitate to reach out to Silverthorne Attorneys for a free consultation.
How to Prevent Dog Attacks
Injuries due to a dog bite are very serious. Not only for those who suffer from injuries. But for the owners of the animals as well. Though we do not want to blame the victim, as a dog attack attorney in Orange County, we want people to be alert. So, as a leading South Orange County dog attack lawyer, we put together some tips on how to not only prevent an attack, but behaviors to look out for.
Dog Attack Attorney | Increase Safety Around Dogs
As a leading dog bite lawyer, we know that sometimes attacks cannot be prevented. But in the case that they can, here are some helpful tools.
The Importance of Reducing Risks of an Attack
It is essential to educate yourself and those around you about the prevention of dog bites. This not only helps when owners train their dogs, but is helpful to people who come into contact with aggressive animals.
One of the biggest keys in preventing dog bites is to pay attention to and understand body language. Knowing the signs that indicate whether or not the dog is feeling anxious, afraid, feels threatened, or aggressive.
Signs of Aggressive Dogs
Any dog bite attorney in our office will be able to tell you that most dogs will demonstrate warning signs when they are feeling aggressive. One major sign of aggressive behavior is that the animal may try to appear bigger than they actually are. For instance, the fur on their back may stand up and their tail may stand on end or puff out. The animal may also stand stiff, with a straight-legged stance. The dog may also start to move toward or even freeze and stare at whatever they think is the threat. Baring teeth and growling is probably one of the most common signs of aggressive dogs. If you continue to approach the dog while they are displaying this kind of behavior, you are at risk of a dog bite.
Tips to Dealing with an Aggressive Dog
As an Orange County dog bite attorney, we suggest that is you encounter an aggressive dog, do not run from them. We understand that this will be your first reaction, but dogs have a natural instinct to chase their prey.
- Do not make eye contact with the dog. We suggest that you slowly back away to a place of safety. Where you can put a barrier between yourself and the animal.
- Do not shout at the dog, if you can, stand very still and be stern. Shouting makes dogs more anxious.
Avoiding a Dog Bite
If a dog charges at you and appears as it will attack, do your best to stay away from its teeth. We know that this is not always the easiest thing to accomplish. But there are preventable measures you can take to avoid a dog bite:
- Try to put something in its path. Whether you are carrying a backpack or purse, let it bite that instead of you.
- If they are able to knock you down, curl into a ball. Make sure to tuck your head into your arms and around your neck and ears. This will make it more difficult for the dog to bite you in a place that will leave serious injuries.
- Get to a safe place and check for any injuries.
Dog Attack Lawyer | Where Dog Bites Happen
A lot of the dog bite injuries that occur are either at home or are dogs who we are familiar with. It is on the very rare occasion that dog attacks are from those who we are unfamiliar with. Among children and adults, it is likely that children are the ones who fall victim to dog bites. This is mostly because children are at their level. Also, because children have a tendency to try to play rough with animals and are unaware of their social cues.
As the number of animals increases in a home, the number of dog bites will also increase. For example, a home with two or more animals are five times more likely be bitten by a dog.
Dog Bite Lawyer | Basic Safety Tips
Do’s and Don’ts to Preventing Dog Bites
- Do: as we stated earlier, try to remain motionless when an unfamiliar or aggressive dog approaches.
- Do: immediately let an adult know about stray dogs or dogs that are behaving strangely.
- Don’t: approach an unfamiliar dog.
- Do not: panic or make loud or unnecessary noises.
- Don’t: disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating, or caring for their puppies.
- Do not: pet a dog without asking the owner or allowing it to sniff you first.
- Don’t: encourage your dog to play aggressively.
- Do not: allow small children to play with the dog unsupervised.
Dog Bite Attorney | What to do if You Have Been Bitten
If you do suffer from a dog attack, here are some things you can do:
- immediately wash your wounds with soap and water;
- seek medical attention;
- the wound is serious – uncontrolled bleeding, loss of functions, pain, muscle or bone exposure, etc.
- if the wound becomes red, painful, or swollen.
- if it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot and the wound is deep.
- contact the local animal control agency or police department to report the incident. This is especially important if:
- you are unsure if the dog has been vaccinated
- the dog is acting sick or strange.
- If at all possible, contact the owner to see if they are up to date on their rabies shots.
- you will need their vaccine license number, name of the veterinarian who administered, the owner’s name, address, and phone number.
Preventing Dog Attacks
A dog has long had the label of being “man’s best friend;” a part of the family, and be that family’s pride and joy just like one of the children. However, sometimes things go wrong and a dog can bite another human being or another dog. Several people suffer dog bites throughout a year, and some of those dog bites are serious and severe that medical attention is needed. Here, Laguna Niguel dog bite attorney, Silverthorne Attorneys, has put together some safety tips – not only in preventing a dog bite, but also injuries most people suffer from when bitten by an animal.
How and Where a Dog Can Attack
A dog attack can happen at almost any time and under any circumstance. If an aggressive animal is on a leash and that leash is broken or the dog happens to run away – a dog attack can occur. There is very little known cause as to why most dog bites occur. However, Laguna Niguel dog bite lawyer Silverthorne Attorneys knows, oftentimes, dogs have a tendency to attack because they feel some sort of threat directed at them or their owner(s). When an attack occurs, it is understandable that most owners will state that their dog has never attacked anyone before.
What Kind Of Injuries Can Someone Suffer From A Dog Bite?
- A bite can tear a wound or puncture a wound
- The dog can knock someone over and cause an injury to the head
- Someone’s face can be scarred from being bitten by a dog
- Broken bones
- Psychological and emotional injuries
- Unfortunately, dog bites can result in the death of someone
How to Prevent a Dog Attack
- Do not approach or walk towards a dog you do not know
- Do not disturb a dog
- If you want to pet a dog, let the dog sniff you first
- Try to remain as still as possible if an unknown dog is close to you
- Do not look directly into the eyes of a dog
- Do not run from the dog
If you have been injured by a dog and need a Laguna Niguel personal injury attorney to be your dog attack lawyer, contact us today. Consultations are free!