Though you are not required to file a police report for small accidents, we highly recommend that you do. Even if there was minor damage and there was no evidence of injuries at the sight, it is always best to contact the police and file a report. The reason behind this is not because of what happened at the scene of the accident, but what happens the days following the accident. Sometimes people begin to feel achy or have neck and back issues after the adrenaline from the accident wears off. Many injuries do not become apparent until days after an accident. If you are in a minor accident and do not feel it is necessary to contact the police to come and take down a report, you can always contact the police on your own and fill out a police report detailing the events of the accident. This evidence will help you should there be any problems with the insurance companies.

You may not think that you need to file a police report when you are at the scene of the accident – especially when people are fully insured and licensed drivers – but it is best to have one filed just in case someone makes a claim that you were the one at fault. A police report, especially an on-scene police report that is taken down by the responding officer, can help the insurance companies determine who truly is at fault and who deserves compensation for any damages. Having a police report will benefit you when you are speaking with an insurance adjuster.

Filing a police report is crucial when there is an accident that involves injuries or an unfortunate death. Calling the police after an accident will give the responding officer a chance to interview those involved in the accident as well as any witnesses to the accident. The responding officer will also take note of any and all damages to the car, as well as any injuries that have been sustained by those involved in the accident.

In most cases, you will not need a police report with your insurer unless something unusual happens such as a crime taking place or the other driver fleeing the scene. However, having a police report that you can provide to your adjuster will help speed up the process.

Make sure that there is a police report filed, for your peace of mind.

If you have been injured in an accident and are in need of an experienced personal injury lawyer, contact Silverthorne Attorneys today. Consultations are free.