We’ve all heard of whiplash and I’m sure that most reading this know of at least one person who has been affected by whiplash – whether minor or severe. the most important thing if you have been injured in an accident, is to see a medical professional right away in order to get a prompt and accurate diagnosis and receive treatment. but first, people should be aware of what whiplash is, how to spot symptoms and effectively treat.
Whiplash – What is It?
A neck injury that is caused by forceful, rapid back-and-forth movements of the neck.
Causes of Whiplash
- Automobile Accidents – rear-end collisions are the most common causes of whiplash
- Physical Abuse or Assault – being punched or shaken
- most common injury sustained in “shaken baby syndrome”
- Contact Sports – being tackled while playing football, rugby, etc.
Symptoms & Signs
- Neck pain and stiffness that usually develops within 24 hours of the incident
- Worsening pain with movement of the neck
- Loss of range of motion in the neck and shoulders
- Headaches that begin at the base of the skull
- Tenderness or pain in the shoulder, upper back, or arms
- Tingling or numbness in the arms
- Ice or Heat – apply ice or heat for 15 minutes at a time; up to 6 times a day
- Over-the-counter pain meds – Tylenol, Advil, Motrin IB, etc.
- light stretching
- rotating the neck in both direction
- tilting the head from side-to-side
- bending the neck towards the chest
- rolling the shoulders
- Physical therapy
- Chiropractic Therapy
The purpose of getting a correct diagnosis is to begin treatment right away in order to restore your normal range of motion and relieve pain.
Are You Suffering from Injuries Due to an Accident? Contact an Injury Attorney Today!
We always advise people to seek out a professional injury attorney after suffering from injuries in an accident. This is because, an injury attorney is not only familiar with the law, but they are also familiar with the tactics of the insurance companies. the insurance adjusters will try to bully you into settling for far less than what you deserve. This is because they are looking out for their own interests. It is their primary goal to make sure the insurance companies do not lose money.
However, as an injury attorney, we will always fight for you. We will make sure that you receive the best possible treatment. We will also make sure that you receive the best representation possible. It is our goal to take the burden of the case off of your shoulders. We do this so you can focus on your recovery.
If you are suffering form injuries due to an accident, please contact an injury attorney today. Consultations are free!